|Characters:||Fox in Socks|
Minor characters: Chicks, Bricks, Sue, Slow Joe Crow, Goo Goose, Bim, Ben, Pigs, Luke Luck, Duck, Tweetle Beetles, Poodle
Fox in Socks is a book written by Dr. Seuss, a collectors version of this book along with a plush of the Fox. Fox in Socks was made by Kohl's Cares for Kids in 2008. Fox in Socks is a children's book by Dr. Seuss, first published in 1965. It features two main characters, Fox (an anthropomorphic Fox) and Knox (an anthropomorphic dog), who speak almost entirely in densely rhyming tongue-twisters. Both stories contain two main characters: one who is stubborn and wants to be left alone due to the toungue twisting game being quite difficult.
This book was also used in the Random House Home Video Series which entitles "Dr. Seuss Beginner Book Video" along with two other books The Cat in the Hat Comes Back and There's a Wocket in my Pocket!
This book has an iOS and Android app by Oceanhouse Media.
The book begins by introducing Fox and Knox (sometimes called "Mr. Fox" and "Mr. Knox") along with some props (an orange box and a pair of blue socks). After taking those four rhyming items through several permutations, more items are added (chicks, bricks, blocks, clocks), and so on. As the book progresses Fox describes each situation with rhymes that progress in complexity, with Knox periodically complaining of the difficulty of the tongue-twisters. Finally, after Fox gives an extended dissertation on Tweetle Beetles who fight (battle) with paddles while standing in a puddle inside a bottle on a noodle-eating poodle (a Tweetle Beetle Bottle Puddle Paddle Battle Muddle), Knox acts on his frustration by stuffing Fox into the bottle, reciting a tongue-twister of his own: When a Fox is in the bottle where the tweetle beetles battle with their paddles in a puddle on a noodle-eating poodle, THIS is what they call... ...a tweetle beetle noodle poodle bottled paddled muddled duddled fuddled wuddled Fox in socks, sir! Knox then declares that the game is finished, sarcastically thanking Mr.Fox for the fun, and walks away while the beetles, poodle, and stunned Fox watch.
The Tweetle Beetle skit was featured in The Hoober-Bloob Highway, a 1975 CBS television special. Here, the skit was part of a job: that of a "famous Tweetle Beetle statistician". If you took on this job, "you could be the world's greatest authority on Tweetle Beetle battlistics, if you study Tweetle Beetles and their ballistic characteristics." It ended by cutting back to the base, with Mr. Hoober-Bloob waving his arms around, covering his ears, and yelling, "Stop it! Stop it! I can't stand it! That world is a vastly cruddy, bloody bore!" The dissertation was read by Bob Holt, the voice of Mr. Hoober-Bloob, using a German impression similar to Ludwig von Drake. On the Dr. Seuss Presents... Audio CD Series, the story was narrated by Marvin Miller (read in both a normal-speed and a fast version), along with Green Eggs and Ham, Horton Hatches the Egg, The Sneetches and Other Stories, Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories, Bartholomew and the Oobleck, If I Ran the Zoo and Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book. The entire book was translated by the Israeli author and lyricist Leah Na'or into Hebrew as "בא עם גרבים" (Ba Im Garba'im, literally "He Came With Socks"). Some emendations were made to the original text for better rhyming; for example, Knox's name, in this version, is "ברגז" (Bargaz), to rhyme with "ארגז" (argaz, meaning box), and the chicks in the beginning of the book became ducks. Occasionally the translator wrote a new tongue-twister to fit the existing artwork; the entire poem about the cheese trees, for instance, was replaced with an entirely new poem about an elephant who tripped and fell on his nose. This version of the book was published in 1980 by Keter Publications in Jerusalem. In 1994, Mr. Fox, Mr. Knox and "Three Cheese Trees" appeared in Storybook Weaver, and later in 2004, deluxe version in Storybook Weaver Deluxe.
Goofs, Errors, Corrections and Differences
- This is a review of the Goofs, Errors, Corrections and Differences between the video and the book.
- As the video of the book begins on page 3, more of the blue bushes is drawn and raised up, you will also notice that more of the blue bushes is on the left of the screen behind the Mr. Fox. Mr. Fox appears first, the socks appear second,the box appears third and Mr. Knox appears fourth in order form like in the text (Fox, Socks, Box, Knox). Notice that the socks are lowered a tad bit on the white grass and Mr. Knox is raised up more. The scenery itself is stretched and widened.
- On page 4 on the video of the book Mr. Knox is shifted to the left and moved down more from the blue wall behind him and as Mr. Fox appears he is slightly rotated to the left instead of standing straight up.
- On page 5 on the video of the book, as the camera zooms out, Notice that the rest of Mr. Knox's left ear has been painted and drawn in.
- On page 6-7 on the video of the book, look at Fox's tail, due to his tail being cut from the page in the book the editors drew and painted a new tail on him instead of filling in the missing parts that were shown in the book with explains why his tail was so short in this scene in the video.
- On page 8 on the video of the book, the chicks with bricks appear first on the last, the chicks with blocks appear second in the middle as it was in the book, and a chick with clocks appear last behind the 4 chicks, but in the book, the chicks with blocks are first walking behind the chicks with blocks who walk behind the chick with clocks.
- On page 9 on the video of the book notice on Mr. Knox's head that it has been lowered and looking at Mr. Fox instead of looking up at the chicks (as seen in the book but not the video), which unfortunately turn out to be a brick block chick clock stack instead. Also, notices that Mr. Fox and Mr. Knox from page 9 are in a new background that is similar to the background from pages 10-11.
- On page 10 on the video of the book, notice that some bricks were taken away due to being cut from the page in the book, the rest of the bricks are on a hill drawn on the page of this book/video. you will see Mr. Fox sitting on the pile, then more bricks appear back to the same amount as it was in the book so fourth as the 9 blocks appearing, notice that the tenth block that Fox was holding in the book was cut off and the editors forgot to fill it in and put in on Fox's hand.
- On page 11 on the video of the book, the 4 chicks appear one by one as well as the 4 clocks then Mr. Knox appears in his box last.
- On page 14 of the video of the book, Mr. Knox's blue clock on the top of his red and pink clocks has been cut from the page. No one knows why it wasn't filled in so instead the blue clock from page 11 replaces it. The subtitles from the book "Tick" and "Tock" appear on this scene on the video that was page 14-15 of this book cause its the main word as a sound effect is being played for the clocks. Notice that Mr. Fox is leaned and rotated back a little bit from Mr. Knox.
- The two beds from page 15 on the book were taken and put into a blue and white background on this video. Notice that the the term "TICK" appears 6 times flying across the head of the bed instead of the word "TICK" appearing on the left and right side of the book as the six sick bricks with faces are sleeping same for the 6 sick chicks. Notice that the foot of the bed post from the bed that the six sick bricks were sleeping in, has been taken from that bed and put onto the six sick chick's bed but is a few times a little smaller.
- On page 16-17 on the video on the book, Mr. Knox is 2 steps closer to Mr. Fox. then the camera goes to Mr. Fox. then the scene changes to page 18.
- On page 18 on the video of the book as the scene changed, Mr Fox is rotated faced up as if he is standing straight up in the video instead of leaning back like he was in the book. The rest of Mr. Knox's ears were drawn and painted in this scene due to being cut from the page.
- On page 19 on the video of the book, the camera glides in pointing at an all green background as Sue comes in the picture.
- On page 20-21 on the video of the book. Fox and Knox are closer 3 steps to Sue sewing her socks but are both moved down a tad bit then the Fox's hand points at Mr. Knox.
- On page 22 on the video of the book, Slow Joe Crow flies in the scene but his wings are not flapping but instead he glide's into the scene down the hill. Due to the background sky being yellow and white page 22 in the book it was all yellow in the video.
- On page 23 on the video of the book, notice that some thread is missing and flying up from Sue's needle. Due to the background sky being yellow and white page 23 in the book it was all yellow in the video but some white is shown on the left side. Sue and Joe Crow seem to be standing on another hill in this scene. Notice the small change on the thread from their clothes.
- Sue and Mr. Fox are taken from page 24 and put into page 23 as Sue and Joe from page 23 fade away. The thread from Fox's left sock is erased.
- On page 25 of the video of the book, due to Joe Crow's hat being cut from this page, the editors used the top of his hat from page 23 to be put into this scene. Notice the thread from Knox's left arm its drawn thicker in the video. The rest of Mr. Knox's ear is drawn and painted in.
- On page 26-27 of the video of the book, Notice that some hair has been taken and added to Sue's head due to being cut from the page in the book. The parts of the rose grow and phase into how it normally was in the book as the story on this page goes on. Mr. Fox is 5 steps closer to Knox, Joe, and Sue at the thread is shortened.
- On page 28-29 on the video of the book, Slow Joe Crow from page 26 is seen on Knox's back without the hose on his beak, you will see him being pushed away as he phases from one place to another going back then the layers of Joe Crow switches to the layer where he falls back going away as his hat falls off. Mr. Fox is 3 steps closer to Mr. Knox as he talks to him about how much he hates the sewing tongue twister game.
- On page 30-31 on the video of the book the rest of the scenery behind Knox and Fox has been drawn and colored in as the camera surpasses them. Also, the tree on the right side of the page screen has been filled in so fourth as the scenery on that side and below where more blue goo is shown. Then the goo from the tree branches on the right is stretching and bouncing up and down.
- On page 32-33 on the video of the book, the Goo-Goose mouth is closed not showing any teeth like he did in the book. The Goo-Goose then opens his mouth and shows his teeth opening and closing as he chews the goo a few times. The hill that Knox and Mr. Fox are sitting on has been moved up and shifted closer to the Goo-Goose in this video.
- On page 34-35 on the video of the book, Mr Knox's head flips horizontal as he shakes his head in terms of his way of saying "No". The rest of the Goo-Goose's hand and beak is drawn and colored in due to being cut from the page in the book. More of the black grass has been added behind them. The Goo-Goose and the rock stump he is standing on has been moved to the right. More blue goo has been added to the scenery again and the hill that Mr. Fox is stepping on is lowered.
- On page 36 on the video of the book two anthropomorphic cats named Bim and Ben appear without brooms until the term "broom" is mentioned as they then come near each other with the brooms in hand. Notice that the top of Mr. Knox's head was cut off in the book so the editors filled that part in drawing the rest of his ears and head, but his head looks still looks kinda flat. The orange wall has been stretched and more of the orange wall has been added on the left side behind Mr. Knox.
- On page, 37 on the video of the book, on the top of the page, the camera shows Ben bending a boom Bim gave him. Notice that Ben's left hand to the right side of the screen has been drawn and colored in due to being cut from the page in the book and he is standing on the line of the orange wall behind him. The camera shows Bim bending a broom Ben gave him. Also, notice that Ben and Bim are 4 steps away from each other in the video instead of being close like they were in the book and the background behind Bim is all orange to the left. When the narrator "Barton Heyman" voicing Mr. Fox says "Bim's bends", Bim is rotated to the left a little the second time he is seen bending the broom.
- On the same page but shown below of the next scene of this video, Their brooms are seen broken in two. Notice that Bim is rotated straight up and not leaning back to the left side like he was in the book, the rest of Ben's whiskers, elbow and broom are filled colored and drawn in the scene due to being cut from the page, thus the dialogue of the break lines of the brooms are erased and the background is all orange.
- On page 38-39 on the video of the book the dialogue lines of the noises being made have been erased. Look at Bim in the book and video. who will see that the editors copied Ben's legs into the bottom of Bim as they are leading a band of pigs playing instruments, the editors also took and copied the legs from one pig onto another pig holding a bass drum and another pig holding a blue mallet banging the bass drum. The pig holding a pink mallet, his backside is put from copied from a pig walking with bells. Fox and Knox do not appear in this scenery due to Knox being cut from the book but Fox's voice is heard narrating the page. The 3 pigs on the bottom with the bass drum are lifted up closer to the 5 pigs on top.
- On page 40 on the video of the book, the green grass has been added to the scene covering the bottom of the hill. You will see Mr. Knox walking straight away on the grass leaving the band instead of walking down hill. Notice that you will see only one pig and a anthropomorphic cat that was either Bim or Ben in this scene but in the book, its two pigs with either Bim or Ben. In the video, the first pig that was supposed to be standing on the other pig's bass drum on the it's head has been taken away from the scene and the rest of the bass drum on the second pig's head has been drawn in and painted. Mr. Fox from page 41 is in this scenery as well taking Knox somewhere else so page the scenery of page 41 is not shown in this video.
- On page 43 on the video of the book, Fox and Knox from page 42, do not appear in this scenery like they did in the book so page 42 was not used but the camera was focused on Luke and his duck instead. The grassy hill Luke and his pet duck are both on has been lowered down some. As Luke is seen, His eyes appear to be opened looking at the lake and has the Duck appears his eyes are opened looking at the lake too and his mouth is closed as well. Luke and the duck both take turns licking the lake in between times as they close their eyes. They aren't licking the lake at the same time as they did in the book.
- On page 44-45 on the video of the book Mr. Knox is rotated down to the right and not up like he was in the book. The dialogue movement of his eyes and Mr. Fox hands are erased from this scene. Mr. Fox appears to be standing straight up behind a bush due to his lower half being cut from the bottom page of the book.
- On page 46-47 on the video of the book, everything is the same as it already was in the book. The camera just didn't zoom out enough to show the full scene During the time Mr. Fox is explaining to Knox about the free fleas sneezing, the trees, cheese and the freezy breeze.
- On page 48-49 on the video of the book, some bushes have been drawn and colored in this scenery where you will then see Mr. Knox having a fit pouting. As Knox begins to pout, he is rotated in mid air and phases rotated up and phases again rotated down then he disappears as he replaces with himself from a recent scene in the book where his layer from page 42 (that wasn't used earlier) is seen covering his ears sitting down behind the grass. Mr. Fox is lowered and moved to the right a little bit. The tweetle beetles are seen but due to the second tweetle beetle's body being cut from the page, the first tweetle beetle is copied and pasted to replace that one. Also, notice that their ears have been replaced with different ones also notice that the pink bush behind the tweetle beetles is drawn differently.
- On page 50 of the video of the book. the first Tweetle Beetle is walking on the top on the white line and the other is walking below under the first. The background below has been painted all pink as you see the two beetles punch each other.
- On the top of page 51 on the video of this book, the beetle's ears are both missing as they fight in a puddle. The background is all pink below there the beetles use paddles to hit one another and their ping pong ball ears are also gone in this scenery.
- On page 52-53 on the video of the book, the second tweetle beetle is moved 1 step away from the first tweetle beetle who is almost out of the mouth of the big bottle. All the four beetles's ping pong ball ears are all erased from their heads.
- Notice on page 54-55 on the video of the book, Mr. Fox is standing straight up on the fourth step on the stairs in the video which explains why the mouth of the bottle is on his head, but in the book he was on the fifth step standing but leaned back and his head isn't touching the bottle. Mr. Knox is standing on the fifth step but appears to be closer to Mr. Fox then being one step away, and the rest of Mr. Knox's back has been drawn and colored in due to being cut from the page in the book. Notice on page 55 on the video of the book, the background the background is white and the stairs are pink but in the book on page 55, the stairs are white and the background is pink. The top of the bottle has been drawn to the scene due to being cut from the top of the page. Notice that the fourth tweetle beetle's backside has been filled colored and drawn in the scene due to being cut from the book and he is rotated straight up a bit and all their ears have been erased from their heads. some of the water drops have been taken, redrawn and or rotated. The squiggly line from Mr. Knox's head has been drawn differently in the video.
- On page 56-57 on the video of the book, everything is the same but the camera isn't zoomed out showing it all while Mr. Knox is finally understanding the game on tongue twisting in his own way.
- On page 58-59 on the video of the book, As Mr. Fox is pushed into the bottle, the background is white but the stairs are pink but in the book the the stairs are white and the background is pink. Due to the first tweetle beetle's paddle edge being cut in the middle of the book the editors drew a new one but smaller than the others. The top parts of Mr. Knox's ears have been filled in due to being cut from the page plus you will notice that his feet have been drawn and painted to the scene due to being cut in the book but notice that his feet has been painted part of his sweater he wears so, notice in the book that he is standing in the book but in the video he is sitting. The top of the bottle has been filled and drawn in and the third tweetle beetle's paddle has been drawn and colored in and the rest of the water has been filled in on top. The third and fourth tweetle beetle has been moved a bit and the third beetle's other paddle is leaning to the left in the video and not the right like it was in the book.
- On page 60-61 on the video of the book, the background is all white on page 60 but in the book on page 60 the background is yellow. The second, third and fourth tweetle beetle's paddle edges have been drawn filled and colored in. The fourth tweetle beetle's backside has also been filled in and the back of the bottle has been drawn in. the bottle is rotated a little bit from the poodle. Mr. Knox then leaves the scene phasing away to the right leaving a sad Mr. Fox (who is trapped in the bottle), the tweetle beetles and the Noodle eating poodle confused as the episode of this book on video comes to an end.