Horton the Elephant is the kind-hearted elephant character is the main protagonist of the 1940 book, Horton Hatches the Egg and its 1950 sequel Horton Hears a Who!. He also appears in Seussical the Musical, and The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss. Horton is the leader of the Jungle of Nool characters in Horton Hatches the Egg, Horton Hears a Who!, and Horton and the Kwuggerbug and more Lost Stories. He is also the deuteragonist of the special.
Horton is a gray (presumably Indian) elephant with blue eyes. His ears sprout like wings.
- In the Warner Bros. Merrie Melodies cartoon version, he is portrayed as pink instead of gray.
- He has a tuft of black hair on the top of his head. His body is round in shape.
- He is extremely heavy.
In each of Horton's book appearances, he endures a good amount of ridicule, for believing in something that no one else does. In 1942, Horton the Elephant appeared in Horton Hatches the Egg.
Horton never loses faith, though. Even after being roped and caged, he continually insisted that the Whos existed, which they did. In The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss, he was performed by John Kennedy.
Horton is also one of the main characters of Seussical, played by Kevin Chamberlin, combining his roles in Horton Hatches the Egg and Horton Hears a Who!. The basic story line of the musical is centered around him.
He is also known as hopeful, observant, relaxed, trustworthy, outgoing, nice, thoughtful, helpful, encouraging, extroverted, loving, efficient, playful, hard-working, altruistic, nurturing and tidy.
He is also a father to an elephant bird by the name Morton.
- Horton Hatches the Egg (1942)
- Horton Hears a Who! (Cartoon)
- The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss
- Episode 01: The Gink
- Episode 04: The Song of the Zubble-Wump
- Episode 05: The Guest
- Episode 18: Horton Has a Hit!
- Episode 19: The Birthday Moose
- Seussical (TV Special)
- Horton Hears a Who! (film)