Whoville (alternatively spelled Who-ville) is the central location on the Dr. Seuss television special, How the Grinch Stole Christmas! -- The Grinch lives high above them with his dog Max on Mount Crumpit, watching them frequently. The inhabitants of this place are the Whos, very few of whom are named. One of the only differences among them is their size, ranging from small to large. In Halloween is Grinch Night, the Grinch also comes down on Grinch Night/Halloween, which happens in autumn when the "sour-sweet wind is in the air, the Gree-Grumps growl, the Hakken-Krakks yowl, and everyone knows to stay indoors, for the Grinch will be coming down from Mount Crumpit in his "paraphernalia wagon". The only thing that stopped the Grinch on Grinch Night was young Euchariah Who.
There are two separate versions of Whoville: One contained within a snowflake, and another (in Horton Hears a Who!) in a speck of dust (although it is possible that during winter, Whoville's speck is transferred into a snowflake). The three dominant things they have in common is that they are both home to the Whos, the town's microscopic size, and slightly whacky architecture. The question of whether Seuss intended the Grinch and Horton to exist in shared universe is probably academic.
Whoville appears to have an incredibly thick cloud layer that can only be pierced by an equally incredible amount of sound; namely, Horton talking with a raised voice, or every single Who directing a large amount of sound at a single point on this barrier (Mayor Ned McDodd yelling in pain will do as well).
Whoville is mentioned in one of the trailers of the Netflix series Green Eggs and Ham, when the narrator says Glurfsburg is just past Whoville.
- Main Square: The center of Whoville, it is located just outside the Mayor's office and council chambers
- Mount Crumpit: Located just north of Whoville, its primary inhabitants are the Grinch and his dog Max. Nearby is the Whoville dump.
- Star-Studying Tower: Found within walking distance of Whoville. In the TV special, it was used to contact the Jungle of Nool by Dr. Whoovy. In the the film, the building is abandoned. There used to be a staircase that led up to it, but now it can only be accessed through a balance mechanism and a large slingshot. The tower's primary occupant is JoJo McDodd, who uses it as his sanctuary and a place to invent. The building also contains the Symphonophone, which is essentially a large music box.
- Mayor's house: This is where the mayor and his family live. Its exact location varies.
Inhabitants of Whoville
- Ned McDodd
- Sally O'Malley
- Dr. Mary Lou LaRue
- Miss Yelp
- Cindy Lou Who
- Euchariah Who
- Augustus May Who
- Lou Lou Who
- Betty Lou Who
- Drew Lou Who
- Stu Lou Who
- Maratha May Whovier
- The Cat in the Hat (depends if you count The Grinch Grinches the Cat in the Hat or Seussical)
Appearances of Whoville
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- Halloween is Grinch Night
- Horton Hears a Who!
- Horton Hears a Who! (Cartoon)
- Horton Hears a Who! (Film)
- The Grinch Grinches the Cat in the Hat